Reflection

Mission Statement: This project was completed in association with the James Monroe Museum. Our goal is to integrate technology and history through the lens of the James Monroe Museum’s collection. We aim to make history exciting and accessible to all. The baseline of this project was to create a 360 tour of the James Monroe Museum and enhance people’s overall online immersion experience of the museum. In addition to the tour, we have created a timeline and StoryMap. We have also created 10 artifact videos that are linked within the tour and have linked previous projects that others have done in collaboration with the museum. With all these parts, we hope that history lovers and educators can get a feeling for what the museum has to offer. We hope that this will not only inspire people to visit the museum, but that it will provide an immersive experience for those who are not able to go see it in person.

In general, our actual project process did not stray too far from the contract, at least not our revised contract. In regards to tools, most of what we used, was in fact listed on the contract. The only thing we really had to change was when it came to the hotspots and the 360 tour and what site would host it. The original one that we looked at cost money to use, and we needed to find one that was free. We ended up using Roundaa. Our schedule is probably where we deviated the most. Doing the actual filming and photo taking of the museum and its artifacts was actually a lot faster than we originally thought it would be. What took longer was the video editing, and voice over work. The reason though that the voiceover took so long is because we had to wait on people from the Speaking Center to give us an answer on whether they wanted to do the voice overs themselves, or if we would have to do it. The ambitious goals also got done very quickly, and were able to all be completed.

The basic division of labor that was given in the contract also mostly stayed the same. However, we worked to support each other and help each other out in our tasks where people needed it. Kelly did lead in the photo taking and filming for 360, Lesya lead filming of artifact videos and working with hotspots, Kasey was website lead and liaison between us and the potential voice over actors, Emily was the liaison between us and the museum curators, and I worked on research and creation for the storymap and editing on the timeline,  but we switched some of the other duties around. Instead of having one person on editing artifact videos and Emily do Closed Captions, Kelly,  Lesya, Kasey, and Emily split up the videos to edit, while I did the closed captions once they were uploaded. We also ended up splitting up the voice over work, since the actors ended up not doing it. Emily, Lesya, and I worked on recording ourselves, and the others used them in the video editing. The Timeline and Storymap research and creation ended up being moved to Emily and I, while Kasey worked on the website. We all ended up doing filming and phototaking support, and though we didn’t have it listed on the division of labor section, I gathered the QR codes of the different websites.

Overall the project was a fun and enlightening experience, and we are rather happy with the results. We do have things to fix, mostly with citations and smaller errors, and we have found that the 360 videos have some technical issues with certain computers, but overall I am rather proud of what we accomplished, and bet that my group mates probably agree.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *